Our philosophy is that one size does not fit all and that each head of hair is different and comes with it’s own unique needs. Hair type, age, hormone and activity level are all factors in how your hair behaves. Someone with short, curly, fine hair who runs daily may want to put a different routine in place than someone with thick, waist-length hair who does gentle yoga every other day. The more you pay attention the more you will get to know and love your hair.
We are big fans of the Lather.Rinse.Repeat. method-when needed. Our shampoos are formulated from the gentles cleansers and hand stirred into a suspension of botanical conditioners, vitamins and amino acids. It is so gentle, you really can’t over wash. Every so often the weather, your activity level or just plain stress can leave your hair a little limp. Double cleansing is a highly recommended method for your face and we believe that sometimes your hair needs a little something extra too. Pay attention to see if every time, every other or every third time you need to add an extra wash.
Even though you’ve been doing this for years, we’ve added some tricks.
- Wet hair thoroughly.
- Envision your head with a line like the equator. Starting above your ears, using your thumbs, pick up the top layer of hair, twist and pile on your head.
- Take a quarter sized amount, rub hands together.
- Rub one hand on your back part spreading shampoo up to the crown and down to the nape.
- Rub hands together and spread on sides starting above ears toward front hairline.
- Spend a few minutes massaging.
- Rinse thoroughly, lifting sections of hair to allow clean water to run through. Run your fingers through your hair and consider how it feels. Do you need to wash again? What was it like before shampooing? Would your hair benefit from another wash? If so, repeat.
- If using conditioner, rub between hands and apply from the middle of hair down to ends and work in. If you have frizz around your hairline, add conditioner there too. Our daily conditioners don’t contain any oils to weigh hair down. We use plant based oils in our masques and treatments for targeted results. You can also choose to skip this step and use one of our mists to detangle, protect and style with instead, as a lighter option.
- Rinse thoroughly, lifting sections of hair while rinsing. Squeeze the water out.
The goal for our styling products is healthy hair, not stiff style. We eliminate that crunchy feel by incorporating beneficial plant ingreidents like slippery marshmallow root and soothing red clover. Whether your hair curly or straight, long or short, when wet, please wrap it in a bamboo hair wrap. Bath towels are too heavy for your hair and cause breakage and fraying around your scalp. (An old cotton t-shirt works in a pinch!)
- Depending on your hair type you may choose to air dry or to comb hair out and blow it. If your hair is particularly snarly you may need a detangling mist to comb through easily. This will double as a protectant while blow drying.
- A crème or serum allows you to spot treat specific areas. Is it dry ends, or a strand on the side that won’t behave, or gray strands that are poking up and looking frizzy? Do you want your bangs to stay in a sleek fall to the side? Or want to bounce your curls up after they’ve airdried? These styling products can be applied wet or dry as often as needed.
- A bit more about mists. They work to detangle and protect wet hair, they work as a refresher for second day hair, after a swim at the beach when your hair is snarled, before swimming in chlorinated water as a protectant, after a ride on the motorcycle or convertible or boat. Multi-multi-purpose for maintaining shiny, healthy hair!
We hope our hair care philosophy matches yours and that our products help you have a good hair day every day!